In Which I Screw the Pooch

So, I installed the linings so they they stood a little proud (mostly), so I could sand them down – and make them even with the sides all the way around.

The lining stands proud

The lining stands proud

To do that I took a piece of 1/2 inch plywood, and glued a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper to it. The board is wider than the body of the uke.

Sanding board

Sanding board

So I could just sand it back and forth all the way across the back (and front)

Leveling the linings

Leveling the linings

And after a while – not all that long – everything was pretty level

Linings leveled out

Linings leveled out

Then I needed to cut out the dovetail for the neck – so I took my 1/4 inch chisel and cut away.

Cutting open the dovetail for the neck

Cutting open the dovetail for the neck

Then I started thinking – which turned out a be a big problem.

The next thing I did was glue up the braces in the back. But the back piece was rectangular – and I wanted to keep the body in the jig when I glued on the back. The helpful people at Waldron instruments had drawn pencil lines on the back and front to show the locations of the braces – and the outline of the body. So like an idiot – I took my coping saw and made a rough cut of the outline. I stayed  1/4 – 1/2 OUTSIDE of their line – which I thought (danger) was safe.  Anyway – I made a label – I’m calling the Uke Mas o Menos – More or Less – because that’s how it’s coming together. Uke_B08And after the braces were dried – I trimmed them with my offset chisel – this is a handy tool.

Trimming the braces

Trimming the braces

But when I fitted the back to the body – dammit – it was cut too close in a couple of places.

Uke_B13

Arggghhhh

So, I trimmed out the bad spots – and made patches from the scrap.

Cutting out the bad

Cutting out the bad

This is going to look like hell.

This is going to look like hell.

My rationalization is – it’s the back – it’s my first try – I can make it work. Still – going to look like hell.

The front is worse.

The front is worse.

But, I fitted the front to the body – and it’s even worse. Instead of trimming and fitting – I cleaned up the waste from the original spastic coping saw cuts – and reglued them back. There’s still going to be a visible line – but I’ll call it a design feature.

The Welcome Pad

The Welcome Pad

I bailed on the idea of using carriage bolts to clamp the back to the body when I glued it up – this is out of order – so I needed some pads so I could use 1/2 ply cauls and regular clamps – Lowe’s had these hideous welcome mats for $3.00 – so

Ukulele pads

Ukulele pads

Plenty for 2 body pads – and enough left to make pads for my wood vise jaws – I traced outline from the body – so at least these are cut right.

Glued up back

Glued up back

Here’s the back glued up.

When I get back to it I’ll be dealing with filling and trimming the patches – so we’ll get an idea how hideous this beast will be.

Now I’m going to go screw up my dinner.

Kevo

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.